View Single Post
Old 09-20-2021, 05:05 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: dwarf with protruding eye + cancer?

A bit of info from you, from vet advice recently. A hamster can live out their life on Metacam with a protruding eye, without needing the eye removed. So I think you've done right not to go for any further investigations. The investigations would be just to establish the cause and there probably isn't anything they can do, if it wasn't an infection. So just keeping him comfortable and on the Metacam seems the best route.

With my Syrian I don't yet know if it's infection or a tumour. He's still on the antibiotics at the moment. Whether it is or not there is a possibility of having the eye removed. But it would depend what the vet thinks when seeing him and whether it's actually necessary. It might be necessary if it was causing a lot of pain and discomfort that metacam couldn't relieve. But balanced with that is the stress of vet visits and surgery.

It sounds like your hamster is doing just fine on the Metacam until he gets to the point where his quality of life is not good (or he passes) x
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote