View Single Post
Old 09-19-2021, 09:57 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: dwarf with protruding eye + cancer?

Glad to hear he's doing ok. I think eye things are awful having just had a similar experience. Pickle looked perfectly fine one day. Two days later his eye looked bigger and slightly swollen round that area. He's on antibiotics and metacam (yes same as meloxicam). He still seems to be doing normal things but decisions are hard, as yours, as he's two. If the antibiotics don't work then it's a tumour - that's what I was told. Also that the eye may need removing. It is non functioning and has a white spot in the middle now. It must be very uncomfortable for them to have a permanently open dry eye - hence the Metacam. But the decision as to whether to have surgery to remove the eye at 2 years old (having had surgery a few months back) will be difficult. Although it may depend on whether it's infection or a tumour.

But surprisingly he is doing all his normal hamstery things - digging, zipping around and used his wheel a bit in the night. So the Metacam must help I think.

I've always thought the Leon was such a great cage - if only they'd made it a bit bigger!. Excellent with two full levels. The base is very much on the small side but if it suits your dwarf hammy then that's good.

Yes I would try and make life easy for him now - by having things on all levels. He may just decide to stay at floor level if his house, toilet, wheel, food and water are there and they do love substrate.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote