View Single Post
Old 09-19-2021, 07:39 AM  
charlottibiscotti
Newborn Pup

Default Re: dwarf with protruding eye + cancer?

thanks for the reply! ginger is in the "skyline fun area leon small pet home" which is 67 x 36.5 x 65 cm. one floor alone would still definitely be too small, but given that there's 3 levels, he's had enough space to explore so has never been stressed in there. it's always hard with dwarf hams since they need space but also need to be stopped from climbing, so the ikea detolf is the only other real option, or a bin cage. my last dwarf was a rescue so we had to find a cage that fitted the space quickly, meaning we chose a larger & safe tiered one that she was still happy with.

my first ham was in the rosewood pico, never again!!! way too small & dangerous! i've even heard of hams breaking backs in that specific cage!

anyways, i have taken out the sand bath (i've always been iffy about them anways since it seems like it'd be pretty easy for them to continually ingest sand when collecting food from the floor) & i am going to customise all the levels so that they all have food, water & a nice sized house so he can choose if he wants to only stay downstairs or upstairs from now on.

he's pretty stable but a bit clumsy, he squints his swollen eye (which is not getting any bigger & has no discharge etc) he was a bit wheezy yesterday as if there was mucus in his throat but that's gone away today.

he's still got many days worth of meloxicam left, which i'm pretty sure is exactly the same as metacam?? i'll give that to him until he passes or until the bottle runs out (he started with 10ml so that's 100 days worth)

very sorry to hear about your hammy! i really hope it's nothing major & that he gets well soon! I think eye problems are possibly the most common problem with hamsters...
charlottibiscotti is offline   Reply With Quote