View Single Post
Old 09-19-2021, 12:37 AM  
ShadowNinjaHamster

Default Re: I think my hamster has some health issues? I want to confirm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
They will be from the food I'm afraid. That batch you had was probably full of bug eggs - they hatch out when it's nice and warm (eg under a nice warm hamster! Or in a cosy nest).

How long has the new food been in the freezer? Must be a week now.

I think it does look like you'll need to do another cage clean. Poor hammy. Do you have a spare cage? It might be easier to actually move him to another clean set up cage and then disinfect the old one. I'm guessing not - not many people have spare cages. This time after doing the cage clean, put plenty of new substrate in - it'll help keep him happy - and hide a few treats and scatter some of the new food. To help distract him.
What's interesting is the fact that I just checked his house now and there were 0 bugs, but yesterday his wooden house was filled with those bugs and they were crawling everywhere.
He was squeaking in the morning and he didn't wake up when I called him or tapped on his house. The squeaks weren't loud.

I don't have a spare cage. I do have a playpen, but I don't think he likes it in there. He doesn't play with any toys and he runs in circles and tries to get out and is looking for a way out The playpen is way bigger than his cage. At least now I can touch him and he won't startle nor freak out as he did before. He has been very friendly to me and I'm afraid by cleaning his cage (which I have to do, unfortunately) I'll stress him out and we're back to square one.

The second cage should arrive on 21st of October. Should I wait a month or deep clean it immediately when he wakes up?

Edit: Found more bugs. All of them look different, but are very small. I put my hamster into playpen, but I think he doesn't like it in there, so now he's in a shoebox and he's calm and doing something. Something with a toilet paper.

IMG 2034 - YouTube
This is how he behaves in the playpen.

Last edited by ShadowNinjaHamster; 09-19-2021 at 01:59 AM.
ShadowNinjaHamster is offline   Reply With Quote