View Single Post
Old 09-13-2021, 05:00 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: dwarf with protruding eye + cancer?

So sorry to hear this. I think your gut feelings about tumours are probably right. And considering his age and general condition, I don't think there's much they can do in the way of surgery.

It is always a difficult call balancing their welfare and suffering. I think I would be reluctant to have tests too, if there's nothing to be done except keep him comfortable.

It is very difficult when they are still enjoying life and food. Logically you can't stop the eye bursting if it does - but that would be pretty unpleasant for him.

Maybe the vet would discuss it with you over the phone - if you explain you don't want to have tests as you don't think surgery would be right for him at his age, but need advice as to how to manage him meanwhile and what to look for in case the eye bursts and asks what they would do then.

Even if he's on Metacam, that isn't strong enough for severe pain (although it will help).

I suppose at the moment it's a case of monitoring him and seeing if you think it's bad enough to think about euthanasia. Do you have a photo of his eye?

One thing I will say - and this was something from my exotic vet - that eating isn't always a sign that they are still enjoying life - if they have cancer. She said the cancer growing creates (I forget the technical word) that makes them crave food but all it's doing is feeding the cancer.

So I'd look at other things re quality of life - not just eating. Is he still doing normal hamstery things? Using his wheel and cage - digging and foraging. Or literally just coming out to eat?
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote