Thread: Sleep squeaking
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2021, 02:38 AM  
charlottibiscotti
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Sleep squeaking

I've found that my hamster & past hamsters squeak or scream in their sleep occasionally.

It sounds alarming, but they're totally okay. They do it more often after a cage clean out, being taken somewhere new, if I have had to hold them on their backs or lightly scruff them for a necessary health check, or if I relocate the cage to a different spot in the room, so imo it's a sign of stress.

If your hamster is doing it frequently (eg once a day for more than 3 days) then you might want to consider if something is stressing them out.

given your situation with 2 dwarf hamsters, it could be that they are unhappy/stressed about being in the same cage??

if you hear the same screaming/squeaking sound at night, they are probably fighting (I owned 2 dwarves and had to separate them, they never got physical but they screamed at each other and would have eventually hurt each other) so obviously they would need to be separated in that situation!

if you want to wake your hamster up to stop the squeaking, try lightly blowing on them or tapping the bars, don't use hands to wake them up!

hope that helps!
charlottibiscotti is offline   Reply With Quote