Thread: Balding hamster
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2021, 03:52 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Balding hamster

That all sounds good Glad to hear there are no lumps and bumps. They do naturally start to get thinner as they get older, lose a bit of weight and feel a bit bonier, but one thing to check as well, are if his teeth are ok - did she check his teeth? Sometimes their bottom teeth can grow too long and basically prevent them eating properly and then they will lose weight a lot. You probably already know this, so apologies if you do, but their bottom teeth constantly grow and are kept worn down by hard foods, chew sticks etc. Sometimes when they get older they don't chew as much hard stuff (maybe due to toothache or jaw arthritis) and then their teeth can get overgrown. I wouldn't have thought this was an issue at 18 months, but keep an eye on them .

Yes I would just let him carry on - unless his teeth are stopping him open his mouth properly, then they'd need trimming. One way to check is wait till he yawns and have a look. And/or give him a piece of nut - eg half a brazil nut out of its shell - and see if he can get it in his mouth.

Glad to hear he's ok.

To improve his coat, keep giving a pinch of linseeds daily - it works wonders for coat condition - and some may grow back. To fatten him up a bit, you can give hemp seeds - they are quite high fat (but healthy fats) and contain all known vitamins and minerals so also healthy. I used to give these two separately on a little dish (used a baby food lid or jar lid) and they lick them up. The linwoods shelled hemp seeds go down well - they're fluffy and nutty (sold for humans to put on their breakfast cereals!).

I also used to supplement with a nut once or twice a week - brazil nuts are very high in calories and healthy fats - so half a nut twice a week, brazil nut and half a shelled walnut maybe. They love nuts.

If you get time they also like a bit of porridge. You can just make it in a mug in the microwave - a teaspoonful of porridge oats and a bit of water and microwave for a minute or two then let it cool. Not too thick or its a bit glutinous. I then just give it on the teaspoon and they eat it off the teaspoon. Also good for their health in old age.

I think it helps to try and fatten them up a bit as they can lose weight very quickly if they do become unwell and it can help them survive an illness then.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote