View Single Post
Old 09-03-2021, 12:53 PM  
Benefitsben
Hamster Pup

Default Re: reusing wooden toys after death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
I think it depends on the type of wood. Smooth wood things like shelves or houses, if painted with plastikote, can just be sprayed with pet disinfectant. It’s the rough bark wood items that are difficult to disinfect and yes baking is probably the only way to ensure any bugs are dead as the bark has such tiny crevices. After that, leaving them outside in sunshine and fresh air for a couple of days (when it’s not raining) helps naturally clean and remove any scents of the previous hamster.

Even with all that, the same items shouldn’t be used for at least 2 or 3 weeks after a hamster has died of an infectious disease (the same with a cage even if disinfected) or even in the same room for two or three weeks. To be in the safe side.

Personally, if it’s just a couple of bendy bridges, I tend to replace them. A lot less hassle and they’re not expensive items.
most of the wood stuff I have has bark on it so I'll be putting those in the oven - only a couple shelves have been platikoted and I haven't used them since I switched boy to a bin cage, which was months and months ago haha. and yeah I wasn't going to get another hamster for at least a month or so - I'm just starting a levels so with the extra workload I'm not sure I'll have the time to look after a hamster, I probably will though

Yeah I'll be replacing one of the bendy bridges as it's a bit broken, but I'll disinfect and keep my other ones
Benefitsben is offline   Reply With Quote