View Single Post
Old 09-02-2021, 09:22 AM  
Earthy1
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Preparing for surgery

Ria P, I’m so sorry Clarissa that she didn’t get a chance to fully recover. I love the care you put into giving her your hospital box. I have removed some things from her cage, to make walking around easier.
Thanks for the thoughts and considerations.

Serendipity, my vet is an exotic pet vet but they probably haven’t had many people who opted to do surgery on a hamster. I didn’t ask specifically, but she is willing to do it and to take a closer look to see how difficult it might be.

Considering that Choo Choo might have cancer and that the surgery might weaken her further or even cause it to spread, isn’t something I really considered, so that is also another thought. I will ask them to do another scan on her to check what’s maybe happening internally with her organs and stuff. Last time the heart and other organs were not looking enlarged or abnormal.

She seems to be keeping her weight up, she’s always been a big girl over 200g, so that’s one good thing going for her, but the lump has gotten heavier, so it’s possible we are just feeding it, as you said. I figure as long as things are coming out the other end, she’s processing the food she’s eating so I was feeling hopeful.

I’ll inquire about metacam. We were giving a steroid that isn’t too strong…so maybe we can just switch the medication instead of surgery, and just let her live out the rest of her time?

Another question: How do you prevent them from scratching their scars after the surgery? Just giving antibiotics and crossing your fingers?
Earthy1 is offline   Reply With Quote