View Single Post
Old 08-26-2021, 11:53 PM  
Averagehamsterperson
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Drastic hamster personality change

My precious 2 year old winter white hamster has been acting out-of-the-ordinary lately and it is a bit concerning for me.

It was only after our 5-day vacation that we'd seen a drastic change in personality. (My neighbor was there to check on him everyday of course, however did not pick him up and only gently brushed him with the toothbrush we provided her.)

The first time I pick him up (which was after about a day or two of settling ourselves in to let him adjust to our scent, etc., etc.) he runs to my fingertips and bites me.. HARD - which is completely abnormal to his normal self as he absolutely adores being cuddled and held and has never bitten, only licked or nibbled. So again, I give him a bit more time, still the same. HOWEVER, when he's sleeping, the little guy loves belly rubs and back pats.

Another observation I've made is that of all places in his enclosure, he only sleeps under his water bottle completely exposed on his back or side.

He has also developed a bar biting behavior as a way to beg for treats. (It does not seem to be of boredom, and he only does so when he hears our voice. He eventually stops and walks away after receiving his treat.) He always had a tendency to come to the bars anyways but not bite them.

This is my first and probably only hamster (I am young as you can tell,) but I really want him to live a long fulfilling life because he is my best friend. Advice would be helpful, ty! (Apologies for sloppy grammatical mistakes, I'm writing this super late!)

The cage I currently use is the Prevue Pet Product 528 Small Animal enclosure I believe - just to anyone curious.
Averagehamsterperson is offline   Reply With Quote