View Single Post
Old 08-26-2021, 06:09 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Blood in urine not clearing up?

Hi and welcome to HC!

I was in a similar situation with my male Syrian hamster and decided against a scan because it wouldn't have changed the outcome. Baytril didn't clear up the blood in the urine and the vet suspected bladder stones. My hamster was too old and weak for surgery so the vet put him on permanent, daily Metacam.

A female dwarf with various health issues, including passing blood, was also put on permanent Metacam. Again, i decided against invasive tests like scans that required aneasthesia because i felt that it wouldn't have changed the outcome.

Both died peacefully at home a few months later.

One of my dwarfs is currently recovering (hopefully) from surgery so its not the case that i'm not willing to spend the money.

At two years old, i would also be inclined not to opt for invasive tests like scans for the very same reason you've mentioned. Yes, you could try another week of Baytril, something i tried as well or you could have a chat with your vet and put her on a pain relief/anti inflammatory like Metacam/Loxicom to keep her as comfortable as possible for as long as possible.
Hamsters like Metacam because it tastes sweet so its nothing like the struggle to get the bitter Baytril down them.

The decision is down to you in the end because you know your hamster best. I can only advise going by my own experiences.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote