Thread: Balding hamster
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2021, 03:18 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Balding hamster

I did think he looked a bit swollen round the middle/ back end. And the waddling suggests this too. It does sound like some kind of fluid build up maybe. I hate to say this but you might need to prepare for the idea that he is nearing his time. Any kind of fluid build up is usually fairly serious. I am not sure there would be much a vet could do. However it needs keeping an eye on. Our previous Syrian was like this towards the end and got so large I was worried he would burst and have a horrible ending. He was quite clearly not doing well by then with his ears down all the time (a sign they are suffering or in pain- although they’re ears are also down when they‘ve just woken up which is normal). He was clearly struggling to walk as well.

It got to the point where I felt I needed to help him on his way and took him to the vets. Where she agreed he was suffering and needed to be pts. Afterwards she said it was the right thing as he was about to burst there was so much fluid.

So it’s a difficult time. How long do you monitor and if and when to take them to the vets if the vet can’t do much.

I would say take him to the vets as they may at least prescribe Metacam for pain relief which they may need anyway as they get older (they can get arthritis too!). And ask their opinion.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote