Thread: Balding hamster
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2021, 07:28 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Balding hamster

17 months is quite old Ish. Syrian hamster lifespan is from 18 months to 2.5 years usually. At 2 they are the equivalent of an 80 year old human. So at 17 months he is kind of a 60 year old. Which is not old, but ageing

I would just give him a look over yourself first (with gloves) and see if he has any swelling/distension. It may be just the photos. If he does then that could be something serious - fluid build up. Either heart, kidneys, or possible from a tumour. Or (rarely) Cushings disease (which tends to be "pot belly"). Then it's just tlc at his age. Unless there is a specific lump etc.

I have recently had a lump removed from our Syrian when he was 21 months - before it got too big - but surgery at that age depends on the condition of the hamster.

If he seems well and healthy otherwise and still fairly active, I wouldn't worry too much and there isn't much you can do about the ageing process apart from treats and tlc. If he does have what seems to be swelling or fluid though I would see a vet. There probably won't be anything they can do but they can advise if it is causing him pain or not and may prescribe anti inflammatory pain medication.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote