View Single Post
Old 08-19-2021, 12:34 PM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Smile Re: Need advice on robos

Hello and welcome to HC!

If you click on the Forum you'll see a section on the different hamster species including Roborovskis where you can find a number of threads.

Robos are known to be fast, often shy and burrowers. They are sometimes described as hamsters to watch rather than handle. Like with all hamsters, a lot depends on their personality. Some are very shy and prefer their own company and never become tame and easy to handle whereas others are more sociable with humans, like out of cage time and sit on people's hands without immediately trying to run off.
And anything inbetween.

5 days is a very short time and i'd give him a full two weeks to settle into his new habitat during which time i'd just talk to him, even when you can't see him, he can probably hear you.

As he starts to feel more secure and relaxed in his new habitat, he'll probably come out more. Does he not run on his wheel? You could give him two wheels and add a flying saucer. Robos usually love their wheels and use both, the upright one and a flying saucer.

As for taming. I take mine (Monty) out of his cage once or at most twice a week to handle him and let him run around in a playpen or secure area. He'll need a wheel and various toys like the long, bendy plastic tunnels to run through.

When handling a Robo be aware that they are very fast, can jump and will try to run off, so keep hands low to the ground.

He may or may not become tame. Time will tell and you will need a lot of patience.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote