View Single Post
Old 08-19-2021, 12:32 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Need advice on robos

Their personalities vary - some are shy, some less so. If he’s just a baby he’s bound to be a bit scared. Robos more than any other species are scared of a “claw” coming from above as they are so tiny - (ie a hand). I know even some experienced breeders reckon the only way to get them out of the cage is scoop them up in a mug!

I wouldn’t even try to get him out of the cage for at least 3 weeks, but keep talking to him, do the tissue trick (a few sheets of toilet paper up your sleeve or down your bra for a couple of hours then tear then into strips for nesting material and out the pile in the cage somewhere- they take it to the nest and get used to your scent).

If you get to get him out too soon he may regress again. But then I was too nervy for too long trying to get ours out as he got so stressed. I got past that but had to virtually dismantle the cage to find him to get him out if he ran away).

One of the big pluses is watching them! As he grows up he might be out snd about in the cage quite a bit and they are so fast and funny! I definitely had lots of conversations with ours and he would sit snd listen. When older he also visually communicated - told me if something was wrong. Would sit and look at you then indicate his head at something then look at you again. Very pointedly trying to tell me something. Sure enough his wheel was stuck!

Last edited by Pebbles82; 08-19-2021 at 12:38 PM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote