Thread: ill syrian?
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2021, 02:09 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: ill syrian?

Yes that's a possibility - smelling your female hamster making him desperate to get out! Was it your female hamster that had a cage change recently? If so and she is scent marking her new cage, then she may be giving off more female smells than usual.

I also wonder sometimes, when you have two - if one is copying the other! I had two male syrians in cages above each other with a shelf in between and they became quite synchronised (although maybe coincidence). Whatever one did, the other (slightly institutionalised one!) did shortly after.

Hope it settles down. As you probably know a hamster's bottom teeth keep growing so if one has broken off it will grow back but the teeth may need trimming now so he can eat properly and keeping an eye on. So it will need a vet visit. Not sure which region you're in but I have found vets quite reasonable for a basic check for a hamster. It's only if medication is needed you can get a bill of say £50 or £60. But do google and find an exotic vet in the area - they know more about hamsters and may also have a special interest in their welfare so be more inclined to give a discount if funds are tight.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote