View Single Post
Old 08-16-2021, 03:10 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Hamster holiday care

I think they do miss us actually, but not so much if someone else familiar is there. When I've been away and left my OH to do the feeding and watering he rarely sees them, and the same if I have a pet sitter come in - so they sense it's not you and hide away. And I do wonder what goes through their little heads, wondeirng if you're gone forever. But after it's happened before I guess they learn it's temporary and you'll be back.

We did have one hamster though who really pined if we weren't there even for a night or two and looked terrible after two days. Depressed and gaunt. It partly depends how bonded they are to you maybe, and also if the house is completely empty. After that experience I would never leave them in a completely empty house, not even for a night or two. If someone is there once a day to feed them (and I tell them to talk to them too!) then they do ok really.

I recently took our 23 month old syrian with us when we were away for a week (staying in a house so it was straight from house to house and in a holiday cage). Normally I'd get a pet sitter to come to the house which is less upheaval - pros and cons to everything!
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote