View Single Post
Old 08-15-2021, 06:33 PM  
Benefitsben
Hamster Pup

Default Re: what to do about potential respiratory infection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst_ice View Post
With respect and bluntly speaking...the side sucking is a serious, respiratory distress response and leaving him would be cruel and may be fatal. He needs vets tomorrow.

It could be pneumonia. One of my rats was making noises like him (turned out to be fluid on the lungs) and started side sucking. I got him to the out of hours vets at 11ppm that night, they over nighted him on oxygen, gave baytril injection but he made no improvement and was seriously struggling to breathe so I had to let him go. This is not a mild chest infection here that can be left or treated herbally

The thyme tea is the latest current "trend" going round and will not help your hamster who is a seriously, bad way right now

It also isn't very fair to leave your hamster in this way with your grandparents. I don't mean to be harsh but I don't think you are quite grasping the serious condition your hamster is in. By your own post, if that was a human you were describing would you leave them for 5 days? You owe it to your hamster as a responsible owner to get them the vet care they need
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi_78 View Post
Thyme is something people sometimes try in addition to antibiotics, but not instead of.

He does sound quite seriously ill unfortunately and I don't think this can wait until Friday. Could you ring round some vets in the morning and see if they would allow you to bring him in before you leave? They might be able to keep him in while you're away, or once he's being treated, perhaps your grandparents could take over.
OK in the morning I'll call the vets as soon as they open, and if they can't take him before I go I'll find another vet. I didn't know it was this serious - thank you for letting me know :)
Benefitsben is offline   Reply With Quote