View Single Post
Old 08-05-2021, 06:25 AM  
sushi_78
Hamster Overlord

Default Re: Calling gerbil people!

The Zeno 2 could work if you put something round the lower bars to raise the bedding a bit. I actually wanted to suggest that one on your thread on The Gerbil Forum (if a tank isn't possible), as it's cheaper and a bit bigger than the Furet, but wasn't sure if you already had the Furet and that's why you were wondering about using it? I would probably prefer the Furet or Zeno 2 to a Zoozone 2 personally, because although the floorspace is a bit smaller, the height is much better and I do find many gerbils really benefit from modest height for a bit of climbing. Not in the rat way, they won't use ropes or hammocks or anything like that, but they like ledges and shelves and grapevines etc.

I've actually bought a Zoozone myself now for hamsters, because it was on sale on Amazon, so when it arrives on Saturday I can let you know my thoughts on it for gerbils. Some breeders and rescues do use Duna or Zoozone type cages for gerbil litters because slightly shallower bedding (around 6 inches) can work better with pups, plus elderly and ailing gerbils often become less bothered about burrowing and happier to just have a big house to sleep in (though you can't tell "elderly" by the age alone, it's more a state of health, I've had 4.5 year old gerbils that still loved burrowing), but adult gerbils in the prime of life really do benefit from as deep bedding as possible which is why I have reservations about the Zoozone.
sushi_78 is offline   Reply With Quote