View Single Post
Old 08-01-2021, 11:47 PM  
BartyCrouchJr
Newborn Pup

Default New owner with a couple of questions!

Hi everyone, I got my very first Russian Dwarf hamster two days ago i'm very excited but I have a couple of questions...

I'm just wondering about spot cleaning when i'm not sure where he goes to the toilet? When I put him in his new cage he had a little sniff around then found a corner to burrow in and has been mostly in there, cautiously coming out every so often for a sniff around, some food and a little run in his wheel. I don't want to disturb his new burrow after only two days but I'm presuming he is going to the toilet in there too. When should I check to clean it? I don't want to upset him as it's all so new but also don't want it to get too dirty!

My next question is - is it ok to have a lamp on once he wakes up? He's in my spare room so it's very quiet in there, I have been sitting and reading in there and talking softly when he comes out but it's obviously dark when he's out and I would like to see him sometimes I wouldn't have it on all the time, just to see him occasionally.

Here is a photo of him enjoying some broccoli (I currently only have an overhead light, hence the bright light, but a new lamp is coming today! It was only on briefly to get a photo) he's just so cute
His name is Barty Crouch Junior

Thank you in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barty.jpg (83.6 KB, 18 views)
BartyCrouchJr is offline   Reply With Quote