Thread: Foster hamsters
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2021, 11:26 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Foster hamsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petite View Post
Ate his brother??!!! Yes, he looks the type!
Nearly fell off my seat laughing at this comment!!

Yes, the people i bought him from got two Robos in April off someone and were told they were under a year old. They didn't know their gender and said they were too small and fast to check. A month ago one died which they only realized when they cleaned the cage and there was only a bit of fur and skin left of the other.

What i don't know is the following: did one die of natural causes and because the owners didn't dispose of the body the other hamster did in a way that's natural to prey animals
OR did they fall out and fight resulting in the death of one and the other disposed of the body.
I'm inclined to go with the latter because in my estimation they couldn't be more than 14/15 months old.

I was thinking not to mention the cannibalism in a future adoption ad but then again, anybody who'd be put off by that doesn't know enough about hamsters to understand their nature.
On the other hand, the name Hannibal and a brief mention of the relevance may be a good opportunity to point out to the public why it is not a good idea to keep hamsters in pairs.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote