View Single Post
Old 07-30-2021, 06:01 AM  
BuddyBearHam
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Tips for vet trips/carriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
I'd take him as soon as possible because infections don't get better by themselves and he may be in pain.

Taking a pet to the vet is no different from going to the doctors ourselves. We don't want to but we have to or we get worse and not better.

I took three of our dwarfs to the vet recently and do the following:
I get a transport box ready with substrate and a hide in it. I used to put food in it but don't do that now since a dwarf spat the contents of her pouches at the vet plus it can make checking the teeth and pouches more difficult.
Then i rustle the substrate until i can locate the hamster while calling their name and give them a chance to wake up a little. Depending on how tame the hamster is, i either scoop them up in my hands or tempt them into a mug with a treat.
As for medication, i'd wait and see what the vet says first. Some medication hamsters love to take and others they hate.

As for euthanasia, that is something i wouldn't worry about. It only happens with the owner's consent and only in the event where a hamster is suffering.

The sooner you find out what's wrong with Chester the better.
I find that a vet visit isn't as distressing for a hamster as people often expect.

Okay. Thanks!
I’m calling the vet today
BuddyBearHam is offline   Reply With Quote