View Single Post
Old 07-29-2021, 01:29 PM  
Shadow Cat
Hamster Pup

Default Tips on making life easier for an older hamster?

Hello all

I haven't posted in a while.

My little syrian girl Peggy is coming up to 23 months. A good age for a hamster, I think. I think she's had a nice life, but I've definitely noticed signs of old age creeping in. Her fur has thinned, she's lost a little weight and she's generally slower on her feet and less active.

She used to love climbing but she finds it harder now. I took the level out of her cage a wile back as I was scared she would injur herself. She still has some things to climb if the mood takes her, but they're not high.

She's not as keen to come out for playtime as she was. I miss the cuddles but that's fine, I don't want to make her do anything she doesn't want to do.

She has a lot of toys and cardboard to chew (her favourite thing to do!) and I make sure to feed her plenty of the food she likes, including fruit and veg.

There's nothing specifically wrong I don't think, of course I would take her to a vet if I thought there was someting specific that was treatable, she's just an old lady. I don't want to take her to the vet if it isn't necessary as the journey will stress her out (especially as I don't drive so have to get public transport and it can be very loud)

I'm content to let her live out her days chilling in her cage, as much as it saddens me.

Does anyone have any tips on anything else I can do to make her happy?
Shadow Cat is offline   Reply With Quote