Thread: Quaker Oats
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2021, 07:12 PM  
Quin
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Quaker Oats

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityvilleHams View Post
If you're in the US the proper diet is Higgins Vita Garden with Pure Bites added for extra protein - not Sunburst, and no lab blocks added(not high quality etc, just best avoided).

Oxbow pellets aren't a species appropriate diet anyways as they're an all in one type pelleted food which is incredibly unnatural for hamsters who really do best with a mixed food. Oxbow also from a nutritional perspective in terms of ingredients isn't exactly biologically appropriate for hamsters either. Vitakraft foods tend to not be very high quality either - typically loaded with added sugar, dyes, dried fruits, etc.
First off, thank you for the replies. My hamster is eating (sliced) carrots as we speak. Whenever I can, I’ll either grow the herbs or buy them but it's fairly far to find one that's good for hamsters. Although, certain ones like parsley, mint, basil, thyme, and grass are freshly and locally grown. I’d have to do more research in that area and see if there's a difference between dried & fresh. (I know there's an obvious one)
Quin is offline   Reply With Quote