View Single Post
Old 07-24-2021, 01:49 PM  
GhostBella
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Constantly scared Hamster?

Every time I bring home a new small animal I always put them in the quietest room for at least 3wks. For the first 2 days I leave them be with the door shut and go in constantly talking softly and making soft clicking sounds to feed/water them, on the 3rd day I do the same but put the TV on during the day and evening and slowly start moving in and out of the room but not approaching the cage whilst there awake and do that for 5 days. From the 6th day onwards I then leave the door open so they can hear all the noises that are in your home and can desensitise themselves but in a distant way, sit by there cage talking to them and quietly start moving my hands round the outside of the cage making sure my hands are lower than them or the same level.
Hamsters like other animals and people there characters are just more shy and nervous, I especially find this more with the runts of litters that naturally have always been pushed around, last to feed etc. Im a behaviourist by trade and find that out of all the siblings born the lowest in the pecking order usually have those characteristics and are less bold and inquisitive.
When I advise people about getting a small animal I always say if your getting one from either a pet shop or breeder where you don't no or have a chance to see what happens at night. Get them to open the tank, wake them to view and choose, try and go for the one that wakes up and moves around first but not in a scared manner, then ask them to put the box you'll be taking one home in, in the cage/tank choose one that approaches it inquisitively or goes inside in an interested way. Avoid the ones that when woken try burying themselves straight away, that dont go near the box, run into the nearest hide out or are acting more skittish than the others.
Choosing an animal based on its looks, colour or markings isn't the way.
GhostBella is offline   Reply With Quote