View Single Post
Old 07-24-2021, 07:33 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Sad about dog allergy

Same age as me Ria I do know hormones affect allergy. For and against. All mine disappeared completely in my teens during puberty. Got much worse in my twenties. Improved after diet change in my forties (once I removed wheat virtually everything else wasnt a problem any more). So I kind of figured as I was so much better I could maybe tolerate dogs better - especially a low allergenic breed. But nope - massive reaction within the first couple of hours which got worse and worse.

So I think post menopause things change as well hormonally and maybe some allergies have got worse (or I am just still just as allergic to certain biggies), My Mother developed Eczema after the menopause. Pregnant women find allergies either disappear or get worse. Weird how hormones affect the immune system.

I think it is different proteins in animals (saliva, dander etc). And yes I was very worried I might be allergic to hamsters but had no issues whatsoever - the only thing that affects me is things like grass hammocks, pine shavings and hemp bedding - plant type stuff - and hay. Which kind of rules out guinea pigs and rabbits although its doable if careful with the hay.

You can be allergic to one type of animal and not another, but I think most asthmatics are allergic to dogs, cats, horses. Maybe rodents are different.

I think with the rats its the long tails that would freak my OH out. He just refuses point blank. However much I say they are completely different.

Anyone know much about degus?
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote