View Single Post
Old 07-22-2021, 01:23 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Sad about dog allergy

Just posting this to share. One thing I've always loved about having hamsters (one of the many things) is not being allergic to them. I am allergic to dogs and cats - although it seems to vary how badly depending on the type of dog or cat or how long you're in someone's house.

I gave into the idea of getting a low allergenic dog because stepson desperately wanted one. And it was a hearbreaking experience. It was a tiny breed (poodle) and supposed to be much less allergenic than most dogs - I thought I might get by with skin rashes and a bit of sneezing and manage - but I had severe asthma within 24 hours and ended up in a real state and on a lot of medication. So we couldn't keep the puppy. Even after just a few days you bond and it feels like a huge loss. I absolutely fell in love with the little thing - we all did.

We are so sad about it. And even if you were the wealthiest person in the world there is no solution. There is still no cure for dog allergy.

We would absolutely love to have a dog - stepson in particular - something to take for walks, run about with and train etc.

So - that is the end of the line with dogs for us. I've had a low allergenic breed before a long time ago which I tolerated with medication. The one we got was supposed to be even less allergenic - but things change over time - these allergies can become worse.

So to anyone who has a dog. Enjoy! It is a real gift. Our hamsters are wonderful too but we did want a family dog.

Now trying to think what alternative pet we can get for stepson - he's a teenager and really not interested in hamsters any more. Those are mine
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote