View Single Post
Old 07-22-2021, 10:01 AM  
Imogen
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Hamster buried in pots after passing away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst_ice View Post
Hello,

I bury all my hams and rats in pots outside but since moving have a garden now. I wouldn't bury in a pot for the house, the depth needs to be quite deep even for a hamster so people tend to do pots outside. I had to leave some of my burial pots behind in the move which did upset me a little but I brought some with me and I find it comforting.

I did dig a large pit for some and hadn't done it deep enough and found a nasty scene in the morning, so even small creatures need to be buried deep or have a rockery placed over them to protect

I personally like it, as when I see the plants grow and flower, I know my loved one has become a part of that plant and seeing it grow reminds me life goes on, the circle of life!

I'm also an archaeologist though so bodies and bones etc don't phase me!

Some people may keep a memorial plant in their home of their pet. Cremation is always another ooption but can be expenive
Ahh, I'm still a little confused though. This person I saw placed their hamster in a deep plant pot so I looked it up.

It mentions how it's okay to bury your hamster in a plant pot if you have no space or if it's illegal to do so where you live (considering some places you live have regulations like that). It stated at least two feet is enough and also states how you can either...

1. Dig a pit, place the pot into it and put stones on top with a plant.

2. Place it on your windowsill straight away

or

3. If you're worried about smells/bugs, place it outside on a balcony or in the garden for 2-3 months and fetch it back inside to place on your windowsill.

I've just asked on FB so going to see some more advice there as well.