View Single Post
Old 07-21-2021, 06:55 AM  
Imogen
Hamster Pup

Question Oreo is proving difficult. Please help. x

I got Oreo 8th of this month, which is two weeks ago tomorrow I ended up with a Russian Dwarf. Again assuming that he is a hybrid between both Campbell and Winter White - which is probably very likely.

He's very sweet, but as stated before already on this forum that he is just so terribly shy... He's been left alone all the time since the day I got him besides yesterday afternoon.

I really am unsure where to start with him. Considering I've only owned Syrians and looked after Syrians to help tame and care for them for a few weeks for some friends of mine, I have no experience with other species or this kind of personality.

He never ever comes out when you're in the room, like, not at all! I hardly see him. I managed to get him out yesterday to check over his enclosure as he hadn't been cleaned out in 2 weeks, reason being is I wanted him to try and warm up a bit to having big weird creatures opening the door and walking through the room... but honestly, I couldn't even find any wee pfft... I cleaned out the corner his hide is in anyway. It may have been clean or not but better than not doing anything at all.

He was looking up at me and kind of interested in me when he was in his carrier for a short period of time and fell asleep around you so he seemed kind of comfortable and curious. But as soon as he's in the cage he just stays hidden like he's super shy!

Does anyone know where to start with taming a very shy hamster? Like, I feel like the tissue trick won't help. He just hides when he sees you and all that will do is give scent. I think it's more to do with the sight of you than smell at the moment. Is there a way to get him used to you?

I don't always like to sit in my room, it's quiet and very isolating up there. I'm the one to sit downstairs on my laptop around family so that it's not quiet with the doors open during this hot weather.

I could fetch and carry his enclosure down so it's sat next to me on the table and shut the cats out from our living room. Our TV is hardly on so he wouldn't be affected by that either. I just feel like this is the only way I can think of as if he wants to come out for water or food etc. he'd have no choice to if I'm sitting beside him all the time.

But I really also can't be bothered to spend the effort having me and another relative carry his enclosure down super gently. It's not that heavy, it's just a very large 134l very useful bin box but I want to avoid trying to move him.

resized-image-Promo.jpeg

Last edited by Imogen; 07-21-2021 at 07:23 AM.
Imogen is offline   Reply With Quote