View Single Post
Old 07-14-2021, 12:15 AM  
Salem13
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Canadian food help

Hey!
You actually can find the general recommended food [higgins sunburst and mazuri rat & mouse] in Global Pet Foods stores. If they don't have any in stock you can ask them to order it in for you.
I currently am feeding my own dwarf Winslow a mix of VitaKraft VitaSmart [which does have a small amount of molasses but could be swapped for VitaNature instead] and Versele Laga Hamster Nature Complete [which has added dyes and vaguely labeled 'herbs' that could contain garlic but given its at the very end of the ingredient list]. VitaCraft can be found at Petsmart and Versele Laga can be found at Pet Valu. The GA of the combined food [50/50 mix] is roughly protein 17%, fat 6%, and fibre 10%. The protein is on the lower side but I am not too concerned about it as Winslow is almost 2 years old. I don't think this mix would be great for your new friend at the moment but it could be an option to keep in the back of your mind if you can't find anything else.

Here is a guide on food and nutrition, there is a section on commercial foods attached.

I highly recommend looking into the Ontario Hamster Club group on facebook. It's run partially by the owner of Strong Brew Hamstery- a highly regarded Syrian breeder- and is full of lots of very helpful people.
Salem13 is offline   Reply With Quote