View Single Post
Old 07-13-2021, 06:26 PM  
Imogen
Hamster Pup

Default Re: An update on Remy and other things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst_ice View Post
What happened with the cat?!?
Just saw this as I was checking over my posted forums and saw this in bold! So sorry for the late reply...

I was free roaming Remy and made sure to block off all the gaps and stuff... but he managed to pull away the barrier I put up against my door crack and escape without me noticing. I was keeping an eye on him for the entire half an hour he was out but I take my eyes off for like 5 seconds to add the cleaner to the side walls of his enclosure and he disappeared. I waited about 2 minutes assuming he was under my bed but 2 minutes grew to 5 and 5 grew to 8 and I got a little more hectic. Under my bed was empty, but assuming he was blending in with my black, grey and white carpet I lifted up my double mattress and found he wasn't anywhere to be seen. Checked under my wardrobe, no hamster there and there was nothing else he could get under.

I go to check the door and noticed the corner was a little bit lose (and I remember completely tucking in a blanket and weights super snug but obviously not snug enough to not be outsmarted) and assumed he had squeezed through under the door. As stated, my house is like 60+ years old so things would be warped now - even if we replace the door the door will still have a gap under (as with all our doors as well)...

I found my cat laying in a funny position in my other families room, but the first time I was dumb enough to brush it off. I check the bathroom, the landing, the stairs and the downstairs in case he managed to stumble down the stairs... but nothing! I came back up and noticed my cat back on the floor and realised very quickly she was facing the wardrobe. I look under with the torch on my iPhone and found the little guy in the corner looking up - and so glad he was smart enough NOT to come out during the whole 10 minutes he was probably there.

The cat herself is vicious to humans - she's a rescue and we've had her for over 10 years but never warmed up. She goes for everyone but she seems to know that I have a lot more power over her so she keeps her distance, this enabled me to save the little guy and when I was able to tempt him out she would not come near me or even the hamster - even though she definitely saw it. I'm the only person she doesn't go after as she knows her place with me, she knows she'll get a slight raised voice for a scolding if she tries to claw up my legs. None of my other family don't tell her off so she darts for their legs even if they're 50 CM away when they are trying to walk past and avoid her so I guess that was another reason that enabled me to save the little guy as well from any serious injuries and possibly death by a cat. I'm lucky my other cat wasn't there, he's too loving with everyone and would completely get in your way to snatch a small creature.

In the process though of tempting him out, he did scurry up the back of the wardrobe as it was slightly pulled out but he ended up dropping like 5 ft to the ground. He darted to the corner of the room from out under the wardrobe but I just about managed to grab him and fetch him back to my room and quickly got his enclosure finished as he was in his carrier.

He hasn't been free-roamed since - I am not letting him out in my room again in case I do mess up. Hamsters are forbidden in the bath in my house, "it's not hygienic"... but I plan to move out in the next year since I'll be 21 next April so he'll be able to go in the bath then. I don't have the money for a play pen yet either so they're not able to be free roamed as of yet. But I always try to change up their enclosures a slight bit to make it a little more different. And don't even get me started on Oreo, him being a Russian dwarf... you know he'll sure be faster and quicker! I will definitely not be risking it with him - as well as his small size so a lot easier to squeeze through.

Last edited by Imogen; 07-13-2021 at 06:32 PM.
Imogen is offline   Reply With Quote