View Single Post
Old 07-13-2021, 03:29 PM  
Chicleteer
Hamster Pup

Default Re: New Hamster Bar chewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy_Newbie View Post
I adopted a female Syrian a month ago who was also a keen bar chewer. I think she may have got into the habit when she was with her previous owners but she also has a strong urge to chew, compared to my previous hamster.

I have tried to add cardboard to the places where she was chewing and this seems to have worked -I haven’t seen her biting the bars for weeks. Just toilet rolls and cut up egg boxes and cardboard trays. I also attached an entire toilet roll to the side of her cage, which she has enjoyed ripping to shreds!

It’s still very early days and she is still settling in so hopefully when she is a bit more used to her surroundings the chewing will reduce or drop, but in the meantime I’d give her lots of different things to chew and place them in the areas she likes to chew the bars.
Thanks so much for these suggestions! I actually did just thread some strips of cut-up toilet rolls into her the bars at her favorite chewing spot, and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. I like the idea of attaching an entire toilet roll, so I'm going to try that, too. Thanks again!
Chicleteer is offline   Reply With Quote