View Single Post
Old 07-08-2021, 06:09 PM  
Imogen
Hamster Pup

Smile Self research of punnett squares on hamster colourings.

So I decided to do some research to practice my genetic table punnett squares which I haven't done since graduating from my animal care course.

I love doing these and had to study up to 8 by 8 genetic punnett squares when I was a student. I remember studying the coats of dogs which at the time felt more of an impossible challenge (and got 8/8 on the marks after 3 weeks of continuous study), so figured it'd be fun to do it on hamsters!

After a lot of research - finally found out that a beige hamster is one of the rare colourings due to the parent genes needing to be both dark grey and a rust colour (which are also both rare). Which really surprises me as my first female Syrian hamster was in fact a beige when I was a kid! The things you never know unless you research...

No, I am never planning to breed hamsters. But it is fun to know how genes are passed down and would love to know how my little guys got their colourings.

Not only this - I actually have my own website in the making on hamster care so it would be fun to include a page for hamster colours and genetics!