View Single Post
Old 07-06-2021, 05:28 AM  
Imogen
Hamster Pup

Question An update on Remy and other things

It's been almost 3 months now since I purchased Remy, which feels crazy as it doesn't feel that long at all... Again, I'm not entirely sure how old he is; I probably should've checked but I guess it's too late now. He was purchased on the 7th of April, 2021. I know someone told me their rough ages of when they're sold - so I'll have to dig back through and find it.

As with his colouring, it seems to have came out a bit more than I noticed a month ago. But still can't quite notice whether it's minx or dove with white, I guess some hamster coat colour expert would be able to tell me which one!

As with the taming; I guess there is an improvement and I'm not really noticing... but I'm not entirely sure to be honest. With my old hamster it was so easy to notice she wanted out time and to be held. But with Remy? I guess I saw an improvement two days ago, he finally came to my hand for a treat I was holding instead of me going to him. He doesn't entirely feel comfortable taking a step on my hand to grab a treat, but I guess he needs a little bit longer.

He also doesn't seem to fully enjoy out time, which is a little weird. I have his old spare bin box which sits at 709 square inches so plenty of big enough for a handful of toys, but he doesn't seem to enjoy it. He just wants to keep escaping to go back to his home - He doesn't even use his wheel if he's out of his home. Family does not want a pet in the bath, so that's a big no. I will not trust to let him free roam again in case I re-lost him and a cat did get him the second time around. The gap under my door is just not safe and is way too risky - our house is over 60 years old so it's a bit warped now. No door would fit snug, even if I tried replacing it. I could go for a playpen option, but one of those sturdy plastic ones from wish look good. I would make a cardboard one, but I don't trust him squeezing under it and escaping out under my door.

I get back into some sort of work soon hopefully, if I do I will be able to use the spare bin box as a home for a rescue dwarf.

Not really sure of any rescues here in my area though, the only places I can go to is Rayleigh, Basildon, Southend-on-sea, Billericay and Chelmsford. If anyone is aware of any ways to find a rescue that rescues hamsters, please let me know. Most of the ones I know of only rescue dogs.