View Single Post
Old 07-03-2021, 01:33 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Moving into a new cage advice needed

The Hamster Heaven would be a good option for a dwarf.
Have a look on the thread "Let's see your cages" on the Forum under Housing.

The Pico XL is all plastic so you could clean it in a couple of hours and put her in a box temporarily if you'd rather go for the detolf.
If you don't want to wait and get another type of cage then
I'd reuse as many items as you can and set it up in a similar layout. Plastic, ceramic and glass can get washed in fairy liquid then sprayed with pet friendly antibac and rinsed. I put everything through the dishwasher as well.
Wooden items need to go in the freezer for a week to kill off any moth eggs.

They are probably indian pantry moths so you need to check your kitchen as well. I have them in the house too and kill them when i see one.
Not long ago i saw one flying in and out one of my dwarfs cages so housed her in a spare cage until i had cleaned her Hamster Heaven. She wasn't really stressed by it but that depends on the hamster's temperament.

I freeze the hamster mix for a week now because these moths enter the house in food like grains, flour etc.

These moths aren't harmful but multiply so fast that you could end up with them everywhere. I still see the odd one flying around and have done since January, i vacuum daily including the ceilings, one per day, time allowing. Apparently, the larvea can be on the ceiling but i haven't seen any.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote