Thread: A New Hamster
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2021, 04:14 AM  
Petite
Senior Hamster

Default Re: A New Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
I would get a dwarf and a Robo if you have the space. Not every dwarf wants human contact or out of cage time. Our Ozzy doesn't. No matter which species of hamster you go for, a lot depends on their personality.

I'd check sites like gumtree, pets4homes and preloved in Inverness or en route in case someone wants to rehome a hamster. That way you would be able to find out a bit about their personality.
Thanks for your suggestions, Ria. I checked preloved in Inverness, and the nearest were in Fife, which is quite a long way in the car for a hamster, then a 2-3 hour ferry journey too.

I'd really like to get a dwarf and a Robo, and think I have decided what to do. The detolf is like a palace to a dwarf, so if I split in in half it would give me two 80 x 40 cm cages - only slightly under what is recommended and a good deal bigger than the little plastic boxes some hamsters spend months in in a pet shop. Of course, I would watch them carefully, and if either seemed unhappy I have a spare cage I could move one of them into.

This raises several other questions:

1 I would need to seal around the partition in the detolf. Is there a pet-safe sealant on the market?

2 With them being close together, would a male and a female unsettle each other scent-wise, or would they get used to it and ignore it after a while? Might it be better to go for two lads or two lassies?

Sorry for so many questions! I'm really looking forward to having hamsters in the house again.
Petite is offline   Reply With Quote