Thread: A New Hamster
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2021, 09:39 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Question Re: A New Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petite View Post
Your robo is just too cute, Ria! You describe him as big and fat; would a normal size robo be okay in a HH where bar spacing is concerned? Particularly when they are very young?

Thanks to everyone for this feedback; it's really useful to have these different opinions. I know eventually I will have to make the decision between dwarf and robo, since I don't think I can push OH to accommodate TWO hamsters. It's tricky though - I've always wanted a robo, but if it turns out to be one that doesn't want to be handled, I wonder how we would cope with (for instance) having to administer eye drops or oral antibiotics. Is there a way to do this? And I do like a tactile experience with my hamsters.

I think it will have to be a ferry trip to Pets@Home in Inverness, and see which one jumps out at me. But I also think I will need to wait until August, as we are likely to be going away briefly at some point (pandemic allowing!)
The big one is our resident Robo Monty who lives in a Hamster Heaven. He really is huge for a Robo.

Kev is a small foster Robo who was rescued along with his three brothers and who is now looking for his forever home.

A Savic Mickey 2XL would be ideal for a small Robo. It's the same size as a Hamster Heaven but with an even smaller bar spacing.

I would get a dwarf and a Robo if you have the space. Not every dwarf wants human contact or out of cage time. Our Ozzy doesn't. No matter which species of hamster you go for, a lot depends on their personality.

I'd check sites like gumtree, pets4homes and preloved in Inverness or en route in case someone wants to rehome a hamster. That way you would be able to find out a bit about their personality.

People who rehome try to match the hamster with people who want to adopt. I recently turned nice people down who enquired about adopting Kevin knowing fine that it wouldn't work.

It may be worth looking into.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote