View Single Post
Old 06-30-2021, 09:18 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Can you tell me if this cage is ok?

Hi there. I had my robo in a Savic Mickey 2xl - it's 80cm by 50cm. Robos can be very active and actually need more space than dwarf hamsters generally, often. But 80 x 50 is not too big not too small. I prefer barred cages with front access, especially as robos can be very nervous (and very fast). A tank style is safe but top access means your hand is coming from the top. That might be ok but front access is much better to interact - our robo used to approach the door to talk to me (he was look/talk but don't touch) and sit there for ages. If you moved he'd run away and hide again.

They are also the most fearful species sometimes, being so tiny and easily injured. A barred cage needs to be not too tall though, to avoid injury from fall risks.

The Savic Mickey 2XL has narrow bar spacing which is good for a robo. It's only available from Amazon. It's not the cheapest of cages but well made and has a really good big front opening door. It's normally about £80 but on at £75 at the moment. I have used it for 3 different hamsters now - it's fairly futureproof and suitable for all species - which is why I like it A Syrian could do with a bit bigger but some syrians are fine with it. It's good for all species of dwarf hamster.

The metal grid shelf needs taking out - not suitable. It works best if you start with an empty cage and just add things. A labyrinth house is popular with a robo (nice and dark inside) and something to climb on top of. Some kind of low shelf is good as well. And a sand bath. I had a wheel and a flying saucer at one end of mine and our robo used both of them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Savic-Micke.../dp/B00CFJZYC8

You can attach wheels and items to the bars and the bars are only 7mm so they can't get through or get stuck. This would be my first choice if you can afford it. Otherwise, tank style, the maxi duna multy is good, and a bit bigger, but costs more as well.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote