View Single Post
Old 06-29-2021, 02:27 AM  
Merle
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Hamster wants playpen access at night

When your hamster is constantly biting the cage bars it is a clear sign of stress and that the cage might be too small. 100 x 50 cm already is a good sized cage but some hamsters just need more space. Here in Germany 100 x 50 cm cages are considered the bare minimun cage size but there are a lot of different minimun sizes all over the world. Every hamster is an individual and may need different cage sizes to be happy.

I experianced that when a hamster starts chewing the bars once that it becomes a habit and won't stop. I upgraded one of my past hamsters from a wired cage to a wooden one and she still kept chewing the wood instead of the bars.

If you can I would suggest to change her enclosure to a glass tank or a wooden cage, there are surely a few threads on here where you can get one for a small amount of money. If possible you could even upgrade the floor space.

Since bar chewing can become behavioral it may never stop unless you take away the bars. If you can't change the enclosure I would try to get her as much out of cage time as you can manage.
Merle is offline   Reply With Quote