View Single Post
Old 06-28-2021, 02:24 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Kaytee: clean and cozy - burrowing and wooden item "cleaning".

Yep - no fragrance sprays - if the hamster is in your room - it can really affect them badly - their sense of smell is much more powerful than ours and they have extremely sensitive respiratory tracts. I have asthma and find things like Febreze and air fresheners affect my breathing so I don't use them. Opening the window freshens things up quite quickly Also just general low level pleasant scents like the smell of your washing powder on your bedclothes can make the room smell fresher.

If you're thinking about hamster odour then a little air purifier would do the job well. The small ones aren't expensive and they have filters in that remove odours and dust etc.

I don't know the hutch cleaner you mentioned but I wouldn't use it. The only safe ones really are the ones made for small animals by Johnsons and Beaphar. Also Safe4 pets is fine - and that's odourless.

You don't really need disinfectant or cage cleaner unless there has been illness or disease. For general cleaning I just use warm water with a bit of washing up liquid in (but the standard one not the lemon scented ones etc) and then rinse well. Or sometimes just warm water and a cloth.

As well as baking the house, I'd leave it outside in the sun for a couple of days - helps remove any odours from previous pets and airs it. Fresh air and sunshine are good for removing odours.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote