Thread: Toilet Mayhem
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2021, 04:57 AM  
Imogen
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Toilet Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
You'll have to wait and see If he's in a new cage he may well have changed habits and chosen somewhere else as a toilet. That corner may be further from his house than before.

I would leave his house alone now or he'll get really stressed with the cage move and trying to settle and build a nest - if he does happen to pee in there it won't do any real harm for a short time.

If he's in a much bigger cage, maybe you could give him a bigger house? If they have a large house - big enough to fit a corner litter tray in with still plenty of room left - they always (IME) use the litter tray that's in the house - kind of ensuite . A shoebox house is ideal - doesn't cost anything. I've also used the Ferplast sin rabbit house - which has a lift off roof. It's far too small for a rabbit. It is quite tall so the door is really large, so it works best if sat directly on the cage base, sort of part submerged (ie substrate inside to reduce the height and piled up round the outside to reduce the height of the door. And A bendy stick bridge over the door.

If it doesn't smell, don't worry about it! You'll know when the pee needs spot cleaning as it'll start to smell strongly.

If you do give him a different house, best way is to just take the old house out and pop the new one over the top, over his nest and hoard and not disturb anything that was in the house. He'll adjust quicker. Although I'd wait a couple of weeks now before changing anything, so he settles ok.
Thank you so much; I was looking for a bigger house as I did feel the house was a little too small. I plan on adopting a dwarf at some point when I get a bit more money behind me, and get back into work so I can use the house for that little one if it's still in good nick without any pee soaking through to the wooden structure. I do have a spare shoebox actually that has some nikes in that don't get worn, could possibly use that! As you stated though best to wait a few weeks; which I will to avoid any further stress.

I did lift the lid off of his hidey house when he was running on the wheel again last night, didn't touch it but just looked over and in to see if I could see anything but nope. From what I could see there was nothing yellow so it looked quite clean.

I've tried putting the toilet back in with some brand new fresh sand and placed it in the corner opposite his hidey house so it's very close. Hopefully he'll remember what it's for and use it. Probably not though, but I'll keep my hopes up... He does sit in it though I've noticed, if it's in there he for some reason completely avoids his larger sand bath and decides to just sit and flick in the awkward triangle shaped tray instead...