View Single Post
Old 06-26-2021, 08:31 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Flummoxed by the pantry moth

That is why after my first experience I kept more ceramic and plastic items in the cage! Things that could be washed or wiped, or plastikoted smooth wood. Because I lost so many cage items. I didn't know about freezing then and just binned them. Cleaning the cage bars is a total pain. I think I went through a whole bottle of beaphar making sure I'd covered every bit of the bars. Then after rinsing that off went over them again with white vinegar. So yes the hamster may need to go in another cage for a day or two - at least until the disinfectant and vinegar smells wear off.

It varies - if you've only seen one moth crawling in and out of the cage it has probably laid an awful lot of eggs. Which you can't see. It's only when those eggs hatch out you might find bits of webbing (like fluffy stuff). Chrysalises are quite small and could be mistaken for hamster food.

The first time I had them I just saw "a" moth that appeared to go in and out of Charlie's cage. I ignored it thinking - a moth crawled in the cage so what. But after a while it seemed unusual that it would keep going in and out of cage (nonchalantly walked through the bars). Then saw 2 or 3 on the ceiling and curtains near the cage. Came on here and was advised to check the cage. They had been hatching under the substrate and particularly under a cork log! Anywhere the eggs have been laid really.

Unfortunately for me, by then the two or three that had been fluttering round the room had laid eggs in my food cupboard and when they hatched out there wasn't a single item in food couple saveable. Things like bags of flour, sugar etc. Had to chuck most of it away and clean out every crevice of the cupboad with vinegar.

After that I have kept all dried goods in lock and lock boxes in my food cupboard! No open packets of cornflour, flour etc.

Because they hatch out from the hamster food means when they fly the nest so to speak they seek out more food. Hence pantry moths.

It took months to get rid of them. I'd squash about six every night but more kept appearing. They seem to like dark places too. As well as under the cork log I found dozens of them crawling around under a kitchen cupboard. The moral of that is - have floorboard pelmets on your kitchen cupboards (ours were open underneath). Under the cupboard where I kept the bag of hamster food. And don't have an open plan living/kitchen area!.

I tried pheromone traps - which really didn't work. So I tried a few different types and strangely caught more in the carpet moth traps than the pheromone traps (they stick to the sticky paper). I actually had at least two different varieties.

The odd moth flying around or sitting around isn't that bad - it's the fact they lay eggs everywhere! I think it's 200 a day for each moth. The outbreak was gone eventually after getting the hoover out every day, hoovering up any on the ceiling or curtains, hoovering the carpet every day and using the traps. And you have to empty the hoover bag/change it each time as well and take it straight out of the house.

So I think the key is to nip it in the bud. As soon as you see a moth in a hamster cage, think the worst! Because I had so many they had probably all hatched out at once after the first two or three laid eggs. Once there were dozens laying 200 eggs a day - well it took a long time. Drove me a bit demented actually.

Strange the hamster didn't tell me! You'd think he could have grabbed one in his teeth and come to the cage door to show me and indicated at the cork log! But no - he just ignored them.

Anyway - I know squish any little moth I ever see - just in case! It's normal to have the odd little one in the house in summer but I always think - never again!

So full cage clean if you see a moth in the cage and a good hoover around. Anything that goes back in needs to be new, frozen or washed.

Imogen - the way to prevent it is freeze your hamster food for a week before using it. Moth eggs are very common in all pet foods - and even in flour apparently but I've only ever heard of this happening from pet food in the uk. You can't see them and they do no harm and stay dormant - unless the temperature gets to a certain level - eg hot summer weather or a warm room in winter. My outbreak started in winter when I was leaving a heater on at night in that room.

Last edited by Pebbles82; 06-26-2021 at 08:39 AM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote