Thread: A New Hamster
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2021, 05:37 AM  
Petite
Senior Hamster

Default A New Hamster

Hello, hamstery folk,

I haven't posted since losing Freya in May. At that time my heart wasn't into looking after - and ultimately losing - another hamster, but there is definitely something there still tugging at the heart strings.

I'm thinking it would either be a dwarf or robo (I haven't kept a robo before). I want to downsize from my detolf because although it was a palace for Freya, it took up a lot of space in our living-room. So I am considering the Little Friends Grosvenor Rat / Hamster cage. Would this be big enough, and allow for sufficient substrate in the base? I have seen some reviews which suggest that the bar spacing would be okay for either species; what is the minimum bar spacing I should be looking at for a robo, please?

My research suggests that robos tend to be more active during the day, but I guess each hamster is an individual. We didn't used to see Freya much, but then she did have serious problems.

Not having had a robo before, I have no idea what to feed them for the best. I've always used Harry Hamster for my dwarfs, and it's all that I can buy locally. However, I could buy online along with my substrate which they also don't stock locally. I'm guessing the pieces in Harry Hamster would be too big for a robo?

I know that robos cannot necessarily be held, and I really love being able to stroke a hamster. I don't mind about gender, but is one generally more placid than the other?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Petite is offline   Reply With Quote