Thread: Pickle's Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2021, 12:01 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Pickle's Thread

The vet just called now actually - must be working late. The biopsy showed that it was a malignant scent gland tumour that had been removed but as enough tissue around it had been removed they felt it had been completely removed and wouldn't spread. So basically an enclosed tumour rather than one that would get in the blood stream and spread.

So vet says it was absolutely the right decision to remove it. Biopsy said it was either an adenocarcinoma or possibly a melanoma because there was some pigmentation. My gut feeling is it was the first as it was an internal lump.

Either way the only signs to look out for are if there is any regrowth in the same area, which could happen if any cells had been missed but they feel it had been completely removed so that is unlikely.

So no need to expect any other signs of ill health - only keep an eye to see that nothing grows back.

The important bit being that it was enclosed and completely removed. I asked her if it was more likely to spread if it was a melanoma and she said no because of it having all been removed but also there haven't been any proper studies in melanoma in cancers only in dogs - and there are different types - not all are aggressive and some are very slow growing.

Either way - he's had it removed.

So it's good news that it has been got rid of and that was my first instinct - lump - get it removed before it gets bigger.

Something I read said that scent gland tumours are almost always malignant so best to get them removed.

Last edited by Pebbles82; 06-23-2021 at 12:10 PM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote