View Single Post
Old 06-22-2021, 12:25 PM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Flummoxed by the pantry moth

I've seen the odd indian pantry moth ever since Serendipity's Pickle's nest got invaded by them.
I'm not a cook or a baker so wasn't worried about the kitchen and never saw one near the hamsters.....until today.

I saw a young one flying in and out of Betsy's cage so ruffled the substrate and saw an adult one crawling around. I'm not spooked by insects but object to squatters.

I quickly set up a spare cage with washable furnishings and an inadequate amount of new substrate to be able to keep an eye on things for a while then moved poor Betsy over.

Took her cage outside, removed the contents to soak, scrub and freeze then started looking for the moths and their eggs. I found Nothing. Ok my eyesight isn't great so i got the magnifying glass but still couldn't see anything that crawled in the substrate.

Did i really upset Betsy for nothing? Where are the moths and the larvea? I'm 100% sure that i saw what i say i saw. I even found the adult moth on the ceiling later. Of course, now i feel really bad for moving Betsy out of her comfy home and into a plasticy set up. Poor little Betsy.

Not sure what to do now. Does freezing wooden items actually kill moths eggs should there be any?
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote