View Single Post
Old 06-19-2021, 10:11 PM  
Stormy94

Question New hammy, presenting my Girlfriend and I with some questions

Hi! I just joined this little community cause our little male syrian is making my Girlfriend all panicking and worried.

We got him about a month ago and since we brought him home I guess hamster puberty kicked in, cause his gentleman bits have gotten surprisingly large. Thats the only indicator I have for his age, sorry.

Anyways, we started out with a small wire cage and quickly figured out that a 40 gallon glass tank would be much more suitable. We haven't put a whole lot of stuff in there, about 4-6 inches of bedding (cedar chips and brown fluff) a nice, big, ten inch niteangel wheel, some ceramic pots, and a couple of little toys and such. He had been quite active, both when we first got him and when we gave him a bigger home, but for the past week or so he has been staying in his burrow pretty late into the night. We feed him plenty of fresh veggies, as well as dried fruits and veggies, plus regular hamster pellets. Our house and his are consistently around 60-70 degrees F, and he isn't overwhelmed by any sorts of noise or activity. We're pretty quiet for twenty-somethings.

I figured its probably just Bartok being a moody, lazy adolescent, but my Girlfriend is convinced that something is wrong. Should we just go ahead and take him to a vet? We've been very careful about not giving him anything to make him sick, lots of research before we really do anything or give him anything. Or is he probably ok and just a lazy boy. I've read around a bit that male Syrians tend to be pretty lazy. I wouldn't say he's lethargic, but maybe bored? He likes to burrow a lot but like I said, he's been staying in his burrow a lot later in the evening than he used to.
Stormy94 is offline   Reply With Quote