View Single Post
Old 06-19-2021, 09:14 AM  
Imogen
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Do hamsters love thumbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane View Post
Tobias is doing well, he's still very timid but he's getting used to my hand being in the cage. He's also stopped looking for my thumb so it looks like it was just a phase. Instead he now keeps going to nip my fingertips, I think he's starting to learn that my fingers aren't treats though, and it doesn't scare him so much when I pull away

How are you getting along with Remy?
Not the best phaha!
I've had Remy for about half a week over 3 months, I've tried so much to make him come out and on to my hands but he just likes a quick sniff then scurries away!

I've tried from sitting by him and talking to him, ruffling my hands gently over the substrate to get him used to a human hand to trying to feed him the odd occasional healthy (non-sugary) treat from my hand (which he does take but that's it, he just eats it and doesn't bother with your hand which is better than before).. but, I don't think he'll be the type of hamster to like being held like some. I guess he just has a shy personality! I am trying out the tissue trick now though, will focus on that for the next two weeks.

He's so jumpy though, I always make a sound when I'm approaching him when he's on the wheel so he knows I'm coming but he sees me and he does a backflip off his wheel and stares me down like "bro, can you not". Haha!

He's never aggressive or shows any sign of truly being afraid. I can hold him when it's an emergency and he's fine (like the time he escaped out of my room.. and I have two cats. Oh dear lord that was stressful.), he just gets utterly confused in the whole process and keeps trying to walk off but he never bites or makes screams.

As a kid I had a hamster named Jenny in 2010, she loved being held and before I dove back into another hamster (after being banned from them... apparently they "stunk too much" proved my family wrong on that though. we just didn't clean her enough, feel so guilty about that!) I assumed all of them could warm up to your hand but, after many years of researching I came to understand animals are of course just like us! Have many personalities, but yeah haha, guess he's a more just admire don't touch guy. But I'm fine with that, he's so charming to watch!