View Single Post
Old 06-18-2021, 04:02 PM  
Imogen
Hamster Pup

Default Toilet training troubles

So, my hamster has been toilet trained for about two weeks. He uses the toilet as intended, but has started and also been doing a weird thing.

He seems to be taking some of his food to the corner and putting them into the actual sand. Not a lot of it, so it's not really a stash but the odd finds that he puts there like bits of broken off treats from hanging food sticks as well as a few nuts.

He has also now started to pee in the wrong corner of the toilet tray, instead of the high up bit he pees on the short side and it goes over the edge. It seems as most of it gets on to the sand, but I can still see some un-soaked wee on the edging of the toilet tray.

He did it once a week, but I would keep moving some wee'd on sand to the corner I want him to wee in. And he would move there but all of a sudden wee back in the shallow sided part. It's a real hassle to keep having to try and get him to wee there as I never seem to be able to fully clean it out for the little guy as I have to leave some there to get him to wee where I want.

Any covered up toilet tray recommendations that are cheap or possibly free that no one wants anymore?

remytoilet — ImgBB

SECOND QUESTION TO SAVE MAKING SO MANY THREADS

With the detolf...

Would it be better to keep the sand in a bowl or to add it freely to one section of the enclosure? It looks nice when people add it freely but I feel like this would just make it such a pain to keep cleaning, as it's not in a bowl to easily pick up and overtime gets mixed in at the bottom with all the other substrate (of course I would add a wooden bridge as a divider but it can still seep through over a long long period of time).

What's the best choice for that?

Last edited by Imogen; 06-18-2021 at 04:16 PM.
Imogen is offline   Reply With Quote