View Single Post
Old 06-18-2021, 10:51 AM  
Imogen
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Help, hamsters been attacked by my cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst_ice View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum , though sorry under such sad circumstances.

Here on HC we try to give friendly but honest advice.

It sounds like your cage may too inappropriate both in size, type & location but I'll address that later.

A cat attack like you described and also a potential fall from the top of a fridge would warrant a vet trip. Hamsters are pray animals and hide their pain or injuries well.

You said you saw blood. At the least, I would expect a good vet, not just an exotics, to put the hamster on pain relief, anti inflammatories and perhaps some antibiotics for potential infection to any wounds caused by the cat. Hamsters can die from shock but if this happened a few nights ago, hopefully she is ok.

Regarding the cage, remove the wheel and tubes. If she has injuries you want her to be resting and not using the limbs as much as possible, both for a potential break, fracture or even a sprain.

If your cage fits on top of a fridge, I don't suppose it is very big, you mention tubes, is it maybe taller than wider? The general accepted minimum size now is 80 x 50cm and hamsters prefer more floor than height.

Also, the fact she has escaped and fallen from this height many times, seems too risky to keep the cage there.

I appreciate you have a cat but if you cant house her in a bedroom where you can lock the door, it seems to be inviting further accidents where she may not be so lucky.

Some hamsters do chew plastic cage bases very well. A large glass tank set up is usually what members go to as an alternative. Or there is a thread (somewhere) where someone reinforced the corner with plates of metal.

I hope you can update us and she is ok,

Amethyst
100% agree here with you Amythest!

Although, I am quoting you because I do have a question and didn't want to make another thread; you mentioned hamsters being able to chew through plastic.... never knew that!

As with this though, I recently bought a detolf (as a lot of people may be aware now since I've made a thread on this previously elsewhere).

With that, what about the wood? Would hamsters be able to chew through that or no? Is it rare? And if it does start to happen, anyway to stop them from doing this? Just looking out for the future!