View Single Post
Old 06-18-2021, 10:37 AM  
Imogen
Hamster Pup

Default What diseases are there for hamsters?

Hi guys!

I've done my fair time of researching hamster diseases from when I studied animal care as a course for a qualification (now graduated) and would like some help this time for finding out about a few hamster diseases/illnesses/issues etc.

When studying animals, I mostly focused on horses (as their my big passion) but at some point throughout my study I decided to include hamsters too! But I didn't just study diseases, I studied up to 13 different topics from Zoonotics, biology, healthchecking real animals, buisness and enterprise in the animal industry, ecology and conservation, aquatics (fish), welfare and ethics, animal behaviour (such as abnormal and normal behaviours) and a lot more for both mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians and fish.

During my small section of research I came across these various possible hamster issues

• Wet-tail
• Wheel-tail (but this is mostly related to rats than hamsters. But possible!)
• Back problems from wheels
• Mites/fleas/worms
• All abnormal behaviours such as; bar chewing, aggressiveness, environment pacing/circling, over-grooming/licking, self injury etc.
• Sticky eye
• Growths on hamsters such as cancers and abscesses
• Bumble foot

But would like to know if there's anymore!

Feel free to just send over some names of diseases etc. and I'll happily research into them further and expand my knowledge!